Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday Praise

The past couple days, I have had an overwhelming sense of wellness. It is amazing that after such major surgery, I am getting back to a feeling of normalcy so quickly.

For men in my situation, there are two major concerns. First, was the cancer contained? Getting the cancer before it spreads outside the prostate is critical. For my case, it appears we were able to catch it in time.

The second major concern after dealing with cancer is the issue of continence. I know this is not pleasant to talk about, but it is an important "quality of life issue". I will not know until the catheter is removed on Tuesday (15 days after surgery) how well my continence (or lack thereof) has been preserved. I know Dr. Gaylis walked a fine line between getting all the cancer and preserving my ability to control urinary function. Most men are incontinent after surgery, but improve over weeks, months and even years.

I leave this matter in the hands of a loving, caring God. Whatever the outcome, I praise God for blessing me with healing and wholeness. And I thank you for your prayers and concerns as focus changes from the major issue to a relatively minor issue after my visit to the doctor on Tuesday.

No comments: