Monday, September 22, 2008

One Week Out

It was exactly one week ago that I was in the staging room getting ready to be rolled into the OR at Sharp Grossmont Hospital for a Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy (prostate cancer surgery).

One week later, here I sit in my office (well, my home office) checking my emails, taking care of matters I can handle remotely, and feeling amazingly well. Just gave myself a "sink bath" and shave. Was able to dress myself with one of the "body shirts" Anita got for me. They are perfect for me now, and very comfortable.

I feel great! I'm taking 20 minute walks around the house and back yard. Then rest, don't want to overdo it.

It has not been a picnic, but I have no complaints. To imagine that next Tuesday, when the catheter comes out, this will all begin to be a fading memory, is difficult to comprehend. I hope my experience will be an encouragement for a few of the quarter million men in America who learn they have this disease every year.

I cannot thank Anita enough for all her help and encouragement. PCa is as tough, if not tougher, on the caregiver than the patient.

Bless you,

William (Bill) Jenkins
Cancer Survivor - Four Months and One Week

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bill

My sweetie's RRP is next week. Last time he had a "medical problem" it was having his wisdom teeth out as a teenager in the hospital. Jim is your age, and a devout christian. God is in control!! I am praying not only for Jim but for his doctor & surgical team at Emory.