Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Radiation Schedule

I saw Dr. Reza Shirazi, my radiologist, this morning. We mapped out plans for my "adjuvant" radiation treatments. That means it is a precaution, not "salvage" radiation treatment where there is known evidence of cancer after surgery. Adjuvant radiation usually begins 8-12 weeks after surgery, allowing time for the body to fully heal before suffering another trying, but necessary procedure.

I will begin a seven week regiment of daily radiation treatments on Monday, December 1. Dr. Sharazi's staff will administer the treatments Monday through Friday. They only take about twenty minutes, including prep time. I am fortunate to have them close by at Alvarado Hospital Medical Center, and should be able to continue working through the full seven weeks. Of course, I will miss a couple days Christmas and New Years, but those treatments will just be tacked onto the end. So I will get 35 treatments in all.

One of the biggest side effects is fatigue. I spoke with a few men in the doctor's waiting room before my appointment. One said fatigue was worse at the beginning, another said it was worse for him at the end, and another staid he experience no fatigue. So it is different for each individual.

Thank you all for your continued prayers as I begin this next phase of my journey.

No comments: