Monday, October 6, 2008

Major Milestone

Three weeks ago (right now, as I write) I was in surgery. Today, I returned to work at my Otay office; 100% pain free, and having full mobility. Drove myself to work (another milestone). It is so good to be up and about after suffering from cabin fever.

I’m proud of getting myself cleaned up and dressed for the first day back at work. In many ways (I’m sure Anita will agree) I have reverted to being a child; but working diligently at returning to being a responsible, self-sustaining adult as quickly as possible.

It has been an amazing journey since May 15, when I had the biopsy that revealed prostate cancer, with a flood of emotions: shock, fear, sadness, doom, anger, resolve, doubt, and finally: faith. In some ways, I wish it were possible to say I ONLY had faith. But I am human; and my testimony is that faith, in the end, won out over fear and doubt.

There were two keys to making it through the surgery. First and foremost, I learned first hand what I preached for forty years: Place yourself in the Hands of a Loving God. And that is the ultimate proof of faith. Had the outcome been different, that still is the place to be; whether you are being rolled into major surgery, or going through the routine chores of the day.

The second key was: claiming the presence and power of Guardian Angels. Thanks go to Blue Shield of California, my health care provider, for sending an audio CD called “Guided Imagery”. The 15-minute audio, which I listened to a dozen or so times before surgery, gave encouragement to gain comfort from Guardian Angels who go with me into surgery, and will be with me through recovery. If you had asked on May 15 if I believed in Guardian Angels, of course I would have said yes. But to experience them on September 15 was another story. I may never tire of telling it.

By placing myself in the Hands of a Loving God, and claiming the presence and power of my Guardian Angels, I was able to go into the surgery with a calm faith that whatever the outcome, everything would be OK.

So here is a message for ANY and EVERY day: Place yourself in the Hands of a Loving God, and claim the presence and power of your Guardian Angels, whom the God of Love has placed around you to help you where you cannot help yourself.

Finally, Blue Shield’s audio suggested I look into the faces of my Guardian Angels as I went into surgery. Do not be surprised, they said, if you recognize some of them. They were correct! Thanks, Pop, Ellen and Tommy for being there when I needed you the most.

I love you, all.

From the Quote Garden
“Angels descending, bring from above,
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.”
~ Fanny J. Crosby

No comments: