Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pathology Report

I saw my urologist/surgeon today and received the pathology on my prostatectomy (September 15).

Here goes:

Staging: pT2c pN0 MX (Stage 2 Cancer)
Interpretation: pT2c (Bilateral disease, tumor involved both lobes of prostate)
Interpretation: pN0 (No positive regional nodes)
Interpretation: MX (Distant metastasis cannot be assessed (but earlier CT and bone scan saw no metastasis)
Gleason: 3+4=7 (biopsy indicated 3+3=6)
No discrete tumor mass
Bilateral involvement (both sides of prostate involved)
No capsular penetration (carcinoma extends into but not through capsule bilaterally)
Perineural (around the nerve) tumor invasion: present
Perineural margin: Free of carcinoma
Bladder neck: Free of carcinoma
Distal (urethral) Margin: Carcinoma present
Seminal Vesicle: None present
Lymph Nodes: 18 nodes free of metastatic carcinoma

I am pleased with the results. Cancer staging went down from Stage 3 to Stage 2, and Gleason went up from 6 to 7. But they seem to have taken all of the cancer out. Excellent news that seminal vesicles and lymph nodes were not involved. The only area of concern seems to be Distal Margin. My surgeon says he thinks he got it all. Pathologist is not so sure.

I will see my oncologist Monday to get his take on the path report.

The plan now is to see what PSA shows. May follow up with radiation, if indicated.

Some white blood cells were in my sample today, so I am on a week of Rx CIPRO. Not uncommon with catheter patients post op.

Thank you all for your wonderful support.
Bless you, all.

No comments: