Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Diet - Part 2: Ten things men SHOULD eat.

It's Wednesday, and I am feeling fine. Slight headache, but otherwise doing great. The last "sick day" was Thursday, so this makes a full week of feeling great.

Yesterday, I listed the foods a man should NOT eat. Today, I want to share what I have learned a man SHOULD eat. This is a bunch more fun.

1. Fish. Especially fish with very beneficial alpha omega-3 fatty acids. Ideally eat salmon, sardines, mackerel, and trout, at least two to three times a week. Broiled, not fried.

2. Fruit. Instead of grabbing a cookie or potato chips when you get the munchies, grab a handful of red grapes, an orange or apple. I read a report yesterday that said fruit pectin (MCP) is a powerful anti-cancer agent. But don't start eating orange peels (where pectin is most commonly found). There are more digestible versions out there. (More on this tomorrow).

3. Vegetables. Especially broccoli. I keep reading studies that say broccoli has special antioxidants that can help stop tumor growth. Leafy dark-green veggies are best. Cruciferous vegetables are cancer protective. These include cabbage and cauliflower.

4. Tomatoes. OK, I know this is either a fruit or vegetable, depending on which botanist you talk to. But I'm singling tomatoes out because they seem to have a power ingredient that helps prostate health. Lycopene is a powerful anticancer substance. And are you ready for this? A recent study showed sun-dried tomatoes are especially beneficial. I kid you not.

5. Pomegranates. Yes, I know this is fruit. But again I single it out because a recent study showed this fruit has very positive results for men's health.

6. Watermelons. Another fruit, but with special benefits. It contains selenium, a prostate-healthy component. Cantaloupes are good as well. Most studies support a daily selenium supplement of 200 micrograms a day.

7. Olive oil. This is very healthy and rich in vitamin E and antioxidants. Avocado oil is also good. Avoid oils high in polyunsaturated fats such as corn, canola, or soybean.

8. Dark bread and grain. Eat plenty of wholegrain (dark) breads and cereals, but as I said yesterday, WHITE bread is NOT good for you. When I go to Subway, I get a 6" turkey sub on wheat bread. That's what Jared, the Subway guy who lost 2000 pounds, ate. :-)

9. Nuts. Be careful here, because nuts are loaded with fats. But some nuts, in moderation, are very good. Brazil nuts are rich in selenium. Don't OVERDOSE.

10. Green tea. The jury is still out on this, but most studies indicate green tea has beneficial results.

One extra, DO NOT eat that charbroil black residue on foods cooked on the grill. It has CANCER-CAUSING ingredinets. Beware!

So you don't have to go on a sawdust and tree bark diet to have a healthy prostate. (And ladies, these food are good for your health as well!)

Tomorrow, I'll share some supplements you may consider.

I hope you experience the love and grace of God today!

No comments: