Monday, July 21, 2008

The Battle Begins

Today is the fourth day in a row I have felt great. Thank you, Jesus!

Last week, I had two days when I felt pretty bad; nausea, fatigue, headache and dizziness. But that is because the hormone treatments are doing their job.

I started taking daily Casodex pills about June 15, and got a three-month shot of Trelstar on July 1. This double whammy of hormone therapy should stop my prostate cancer in its tracks and reduce the tumor size by the time I have surgery on September 15.

My PSA level was 4.4 in mid April, when I went to my general physician with a uninary tact infection. Anything over 4.0 may indicate cancer, but mine was not as high as many men with PC (with levels of 10, 20 or much more).

On May 15, I had a biopsy that revealed I had prostate cancer. On the Gleason Scale, I was a 6. The range runs from 2 to 10, so again, my numbers were in the mildly aggresive range.

However, the biospy indicated the cancer may have spread to the seminal vesicles. So although my PSA and Gleason numbers were not "panic time", the fact that the cancer may have spread is more troubling. Put it another way, I am a-typical.

So I am gateful my physicians are taking an aggressive approach, which will include surgery (radical open prostatectomy), homore therapy, and most likely radiation therapy, depending on what the surgery finds.

The biopsy was much more difficult for me than it should have been. A-typical again! But I am now recovered from the side effects and feeling very well.

I have already had a bone scan and CT scan which do not show any visible signs the cancer has spread.

Last week, I had an Echo-cardiogram that on the surface looks good, and a consulation with my oncologist, Dr. Charles Kossman, the final meeting with him before surgery.

This week, I see my urologist, Dr. Frank Gaylis, who will perform the surgery. It is still almost two months away, but I have tests and Doctor visits amost every day.

It is an undertatement to say I am receiving the best care possible! And I know The Great Physician has everything under control.

No comments: